Wednesday, February 29, 2012
Paths to Resilience
Back when my work days were rated X, I used to try and start every one of them in a state of pitched over-excitement. It was fake, of course. But I figured that if I went in at 9am as if I was high on life and/or cocaine, I could leave at 5pm feeling only mildly disgusted with the human condition. Lately, though, it seems like I've lost that ability. I wake up feeling cursed. Not cursed like I'll turn into a werewolf when the moon is full, or cursed like a streetcar is going to run over my leg before noon. But I am becoming increasingly worried that nothing will work out right that day (or ever.) So I have moved on to stage two of dealing with this. And that, by the way, is repeating Albert Camus' quote that "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." Unfortunately, the best I could muster today was muttering "Invincible summer! Invincible summer! INVINCIBLE SUMMER!!" as the wind strafed my face with ice pellets. At least there's always stage three: baking a marmelade cake.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment